Thursday 26 April 2012

3KCBWDAY3 - Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2012, Day 3: My Knitting Heroine


This is by far the easiest Blog Week post to write, so far - I've been looking forward to it!
 My Knitting and Crochet Heroine is my grandmother, knitting away here on the beach on the left, in her deckchair. She is notable also as the only person who is not wearing anything like 'beachwear': she didn't really like the water, and couldn't swim! The picture was taken  at California Cliffs, near Hemsby, Norfolk, in the summer of 1953, before my mother (far right) had met my father, or had me. My Grandma could knit beautifully, and Mum tells me she knitted patterns up professionally for publishers to check their accuracy- - we need to find out more about this! She knitted us clothes, but also made fantastic outfits for our teddies and dolls. She knitted the dolls themselves, too, 'by sight' - just making their little bodies without a pattern. She could also crochet, making it look very easy. I still have three cardigans she knitted me when I was in my twenties, and my childhood teddies are still wearing their knitted cricket jumpers.
My Mum should be a Heroine, too, as she, along with Grandma, taught me to knit and crochet, and she does lots of knitting, rootling and rummaging with me in wool shops wherever we find them. I am very pleased and grateful that I had these Heroines teaching me these skills - I hope other parents and grandparents are passing them on!

No comments:

Post a Comment